lunes, 4 de diciembre de 2023

AI is hard

 I've been having quite a bit of trouble getting the wolf to "behave", trying to make it so it doesn't just do the same things over all the time. No wonder so many games (oldSpace included) just settle on the old "chase player until in range, then attack, rinse and repeat forever" method. I think I need to step back and see this thing as a whole, maybe doing one of those tree charts, instead of just adding and patching code as I go. Or just go in small increments; like just the idles, then idles + basic movement left or right, then turning on walls and so on. But I think I'll work on this off stream on the week, and instead do art streams these next ones.
Actually, I've been thinking about this for a time, regarding how boring it is to just watch a wall of code while I frantically scroll up and down bug fixing. I think I'll step down these a bit, and only stream the game when I have testing to do; like testing the game trying to complete a playthrough or a specific mechanic; I mean, as long as I can manage to keep a weekly report with the progress, and preferably some images/gifs it would be ok right?

3 comentarios:

  1. Have you looked into finite state machines? There's definitely some good godot-specific rundowns on implementing them for AI behaviour, and with either enough states or some randomness, you can get good varied behaviour.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Yes, and they do. But honestly, I don't see the utility on those, and it kinda pisses me off that all the tutorials just go super basic level, but when you go any more complex, the whole concept falls apart and I don't know how to apply it.
      Take chibitsuko for example, she can be in multiple states at a single time, like jumping, moving AND attacking; what then? Do I make a new state for each combination of states? I'm not denying it's usefulness, obviously it works, but it's something that is beyond me right now.

      Eliminar
  2. Had a book once. It was something about an insiders guide to getting a job at playing video games. Or something.

    Anyway.

    The gernalisation was that building an a.i was it's own complex thing and would require a different book just to cover it's shinanigans.

    Of course, this is also a book I read two decades ago. Indy devs didn't have a strong presents then.

    ResponderEliminar

Entrada destacada

Chibi SpacEscape Road Map

I'm gonna pin this post here to let you know what's to come, what I'm currently working on, and what will the next version have....